Free Web Counter
Montana DSL Providers


Click for Odessa, Ukraine Forecast

There's a story here.
If you're interested in how all of this started, click on the April archives below right.
Start from the beginning and see what our God has done.
The Orphans of Ukraine

Monday, May 01, 2006

"For I am already being poured out as a drink offering." - II Timothy 4:6
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
For a tech dependant chick, this trip has been a real stretch. Dial-up internet, computers that are in Russian or Ukrainian, no ability to download photos - I'm really stressing here. But back to the subject, I was so afraid that my alarm wouldn't go off and that I would miss my ride this morning I must have woken up 3 or 4 times. But I was up and ready right on time and found out when I went downstairs that today is another Ukrainian Holiday. Today is Communist Day. No joking. I look down to the corner of the strret and there is a crowd gathered carrying red flags and singing. I asked my driver Dmitri what party is going on so early in the morning. He smiles and says, "Communist party!". We walked down and of course I took pictures. One lady was carrying a large sign with a picture of Stalin. Yeah, Stalin! It was surreal.

So we spent the day at orpahange #9 and #5 and I have tons of pics to show you. Its amazing the access we have to these children. That is due in no small part to the relationship Dr. R has established with the directors.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Could you imagine a foreigner walking up to a child care facility in America and knocking on the door? Not only have they let me in the door, they have been gracious enough to show me around, let me snap all the pictures my little heart desires, and sit and play with the children. God has truly made the rough places smooth.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This afternoon, we went back to orphanage #4 and spent some time with the children. Our day wrapped up with a traditional Ukrainian dinner of Borsch soup and a bunch of other things that I'm not even going to try and spell. It was all really good. We walked back to the hotel and it was getting late (9:30ish). From down the street we hear a little voice cry out Dr. R's name. The child runs up and hugs him and soon a few other children follow. I ask what he was doing out so late and I find out that these are street children. They were 13 and they literally lived on the streets. Most are run aways. Dr. R takes a little time to visit with the boys and singles out one in particular. He says he's been working on this particular kid for some time to go back to the orphange. I ask if I could take his picture and he says "Nyet! Nyet!" (no, no). He has learned not to trust people and doesn't understand why I would want a picture of him. One of his fellow runaways gets my attention and points to hiimself and says "Click? Click?" I say "Da!" (yes) and he poses and makes the funniest face. I am struck at that moment beacuse I remember that he is silly because he is just a child. By the end of our visit, Dr. R has convinced the first boy to return to the orphange on Wednesday.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
So the game plan tomorrow is to leave early and visit orphanage #88 which is made up of children who are developmentally delayed. Their home is supposedly in real disrepair; worse than #4 or #5.

How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings." - Psalms 36:7

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

How exciting! and what a blessing to see the children's happiness in the midst of what we find to be such dismal circumstances. Everything is good here. It is Monday evening, the boys are at the table have burgers and mac & cheese, and I am trying to figure out how you get it all done in 24 hours. I am more in awe of you than ever before! We left school and went to the Publix, that was an experience, just to get dinner items: it took over half and hour. Without my asking, they helped bring in groceries. Joshua sat down and did homework before playing while the twins attacked the video games. After homework, Joey and Josh went outside with the neighborhood kids to shoot arrows and kick the ball around. Samuel and Nathanael, still playing video games. They’ve finished dinner since I’ve been sitting here and are all outside now. (Josh cleaned up the table - he is such the little gentleman!)

Nathanael says:
I want you to hurry home because I miss you so much. We’ve been very lonely without you. Dad misses to you. Love

Joshua says:
I miss you mom, please come back quick.

Samuel says:
I hope you come home soon; we miss you. Josh has a few things he would like to give you and I would too. Be home before Hannah’s birthday. And Dad misses you too. I hope you had a nice safe ride to Ukraine. Bye.

Hope you are having a wonderful time. I can’t wait to hear every story. We’ll try to keep things going in your absence but know that you are dearly missed.

Monday, May 01, 2006 8:55:00 PM  
Blogger patti said...

Oh Leslie, The picture of the Dr. and the children made me cry!!! How lost they are. I dont understand it. How can 13 year olds be on the street and nothing be done? Is it like that in America too and I just dont know it? How precious are they! I loved the pic of the boy with his eyes crossed...they are truly children!

I laughed out loud at the Communist party...Uh....Stalin was like um....lets say SIXTY years ago!!! He is so "yesterday" Really people...keep up with the fashions! HA!

You are missed and Loved. Hannah had a great night at our house. I should have just let her spend the night. she is so easy!!! Her and Kaitlin has a lovely bubble bath in bathing suits and we brushed out their hair and read stories...a real girl night! She says she loves you. But then again, we all do!!!

We are off to the Shakespeare thing in the park today with Brad...I know such an able chaperone...able to navigate foreign countries in a single trip. Downtown Orlando will be a snap for him. I brought a parasol to keep the sun off Kim's and my delicate skin!! (that and lollipops) I did reflect this morning that it was so easy for me to bop into Walmart and buy them for 6 dollars...that is two days meals for children in Ukraine.

Gotta run...RIchie is knocking at the door and moaning because its locked. Honestly, cant a girl get privacy around here!

Love the stories and such...Im a total addict to your writing! Lets write a book when you return, shall we????

xoxoox kisses P

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 8:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww those are cute kids..thats a pretty funny face! its soo sad how children are living on the streets! like we never see that here..i culdnt imagine seeing a kid on the street! i wuld ball my eyes out! (all the kids have such cute noses!) haha ok well hv fun!
~sara

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 10:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what party?
the communist party!
~ba dum chhhh u got ureself some real characters there leslie!...
and i told u to get me a stalin keychain! this would've been the perfect opportunity! ~ well, prolly not. they prolly jack up the prices like they do here for candy on holidays.. darn communists trying to profit! just like disney! ya know, they say walt disney was a communist!...
- i'll leave u with that... : )

Saturday, May 06, 2006 6:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home